Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2024, 10:20 AM   #1
GCA

Internet access

Currently we use a Verizon cube to access the internet. It works in most locations in the central and eastern USA. Next year we will begin exploring the western USA and were wondering about internet access. What are most folks using and what is the cost and reliability of their chosen system.

GCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 05:38 AM   #2
RJShiflet

We use the T-Mobile 5G Home Internet device at home, then take it on the road with us when we head out traveling in our RV. It has always worked for us everywhere we have gone. Ours costs $30 per month (grandfathered) since we have T-Mobile cell phones. I believe now it's up to $35 or $40 per month.

We use it for streaming as well as our day-to-day internet usage. I've found RV Park internet service so undependable in the past, and this is a great addition to bring along.

2022 Ford F250 Power Stroke
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2024, 03:17 PM   #3
GCA

Does it work in the states in the western USA?
GCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2024, 05:23 AM   #4
RJShiflet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCA View Post
Does it work in the states in the western USA?
I have not traveled west of Texas, so I can't answer that question from my own experience. Sorry.
2022 Ford F250 Power Stroke
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 06:21 PM   #5
BruceinDFW

We have both T-Mobile and Verizon 5G Gateways

No provider really works everywhere. That’s why we carry both T-Mobile and Verizon 5G gateways while traveling. The T-Mobile works best in most places but sometimes we have to rely on the Verizon gateway - like in NW Michigan - Petoskey area. We have traveled from our home near Dallas TX through most of the US - except the East coast. T-Mobile has recently added a traveling option for their 5G gateway, but it’s $130+ per month. If they start restricting access to our home market, I’ll cancel service.
BruceinDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 06:34 PM   #6
Edd505

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceinDFW View Post
No provider really works everywhere. That’s why we carry both T-Mobile and Verizon 5G gateways while traveling. The T-Mobile works best in most places but sometimes we have to rely on the Verizon gateway - like in NW Michigan - Petoskey area. We have traveled from our home near Dallas TX through most of the US - except the East coast. T-Mobile has recently added a traveling option for their 5G gateway, but it’s $130+ per month. If they start restricting access to our home market, I’ll cancel service.
Yes it does Star Link works nation wide. It works so well I dumped my at home provider and just set up the system at the house when I get home.
https://www.starlink.com/
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2024, 08:36 PM   #7
Ozzie1

We have the 1st generation Verizon home wifi we got in NM on the advice of a fellow RV'er. It worked there, CO, AZ, UT, TX, NV, and CA. If you get a Verizon signal on your phone, you're good. We get some buffering depending on where we are but honestly it's worse in the east for whatever reason.
Ozzie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2024, 10:31 AM   #8
BruceinDFW

Actually, no Starlink doesn't work everywhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edd505 View Post
Yes it does Star Link works nation wide. It works so well I dumped my at home provider and just set up the system at the house when I get home.
https://www.starlink.com/
Actually, no, Starlink doesn't work everywhere. It requires a decent amount of free space (no trees) just like any other satellite service does. It definitely is a great solution if you want to booddock or are away from cell coverage, but it also has some lag in two-way traffic - like voice over IP, video conferencing, and similar. If you are just using it for standard Internet and streaming, it's fine. I think they are improving it every month - such that it will be the best solution in the near future, but I don't think it's there yet. As for home Internet, there is no way I would dump my $80 per month Gigabit fiber for Starlink - that would be just silly - 1/10 of the download (even less for upload) - and 50% more money. It all depends on your environment and needs.

BruceinDFW is offline   Reply With Quote