Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > Towing, Travel and Camping > Trucks, Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-10-2024, 02:33 PM   #1
DMW

Weight & Balance

I see weights discussed all over these forums and thought there should be a thread here for just those discussions, questions, and answers. So now there is a thread for just these discussions on weight and balance. I'll start with my own figures on my heaviest weigh to date.

I have a 2021 Silverado 3500 HD, CC, Long bed, diesel, dually, 2WD to pull my 2022, Grand Design Momentum, 5th wheel, toy hauler, 43', three axles.

My scaled weights on my heaviest weigh are as follows. I'll include all of my weight ratings when I write them up to copy and paste them below my scale weights. I've included some ratings in parenthesis for quick reference. All weights are in pounds.

A. GCW (40,000): 28,040

Truck Weights (with trailer hooked).
B. GVW (14,000): 13,200
C. Steering Axle: 4,900
D. Drive Axle: 8,300

Truck Weights (without trailer).
E. GVW (14,000): 9,140
F. Steering Axle: 4,900
G. Drive Axle: 4,240

Trailer Weights:
H. GVW (21,000): 18,900
I. Hitch weight: 4,060
J. Cargo Weight: 3,226
K. Gross axles weight: 14,840
L. Axle 1 (8,000): 4,940
M. Axle 2 (8,000): 4,980
N. Axle 3 (8,000): 4,920

The max trailer weight rating for the truck is 27,000 lbs. However, the max trailer weight rating for my 5th wheel hitch is 25,000 lbs. This hitch is fine for my trailer of 21,000 lbs, and gives me a safety margin of 4,000 lbs. I would have to install a stronger hitch to pull a trailer up to the truck rating of 27,000 lbs.

Dave

DMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2024, 10:36 AM   #2
DMW

An important point that I should make is my builder, Grand Design, rates my trailer at 21,000 lbs on the factory standard 7,000 lb axles with electric brakes. I paid extra for the optional upgrade to 8,000 lb axles with disk brakes.

However, even with the stronger axles, Grand Design holds the gross weight rating for the trailer at the placard weight of 21,000 lbs. They did placard the axles for 8,000 lbs. There are other considerations that go into trailer rating other than the axles and brakes.

The moral of the story is, do not think for one minute that upgrading to stronger axles and brakes will get you any increase in other max ratings. It won't! And don't let anyone tell you that upgrading the axles will be the cure for all of your overweight ills. It won't!

When I bought my trailer, I was planning a trip to Alaska. On this trip, the frost heaves started in earnest around Edmonton, AB and ended there on my way back. For me, that was very roughly 5,000 miles of frost heaves. I wanted to have a little more safety margin for this trip. And that is ALL I got with the upgrade.

In addition to frost heaves, depending on the route, I knew I would be driving many, many miles in the northern Rocky Mountains. And knowing how cheap the electric brake installation is, industry wide, I view the brakes upgrade as buying myself a huge increase in safety factor there as well. Never forget, you also have to stop the beast as well.

Dave

DMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:15 AM   #3
Cheryle

When thinking breaks, how much does the engine (air break or Pak break) break help? I have a 2024 Ram diesel HD long bed with the engine break option.
Cheryle is offline   Reply With Quote