Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > 5th Wheel Forums Community Discussions > General Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-19-2024, 09:48 PM   #1
CrazyCanuck

Best quality fifth wheel toyhauler.

New member here and looking for a replacement used 5th wheel toyhauler. Can anyone point me in a decent direction please. I presently have a 2007 desert fix 38 footer triple axle and looking for something about 8 to 10 years newer. Thankx in advance.

CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2024, 09:32 AM   #2
DMW

Good morning CC:

I must say, if anyone looked at my toy hauler closely, they would recommend you stay away from Grand Design. Not only the materials are cheap, that seems to be industry wide, but the workmanship is very poor, IMHO.

I have had facia trim around the slide rooms come off and I found the pieces in the floor.

A piece of the door jamb that leads from the living space to the garage came off in less than 2,000 miles of Interstate cruising. I also found nails sticking up under the vinyl floor covering. The fuel pump did not work. I found the fuel pump problem myself on the first attempted use of it. The problem was three, single pair, electrical leads were not even plugged into the control board in the fueling bay. One pin on the back of the board was bent over so all three pairs were just tied back with a zip tie.

The one really bad thing was something really dangerous. My center axle had shifted a couple of inches rearwards. I discovered it while doing a walk-around inspection one morning while on a trip. I limped into town to a trailer shop and spent a few hours there while they fixed it.

I've had other problems that have made me decide that I will never own another unit with the Grand Design name on it. Others may be just as bad, but I know from firsthand experience that Grand Design did a pretty poor job on my trailer.

Two years with it and I've had to replace the toilet and the main TV. My electric refrigerator control board had problems from day-one that Samsung knew about. So that had to be replaced. My built-in space heater/fireplace failed after one winter.

The plastic faucets on the kitchen sink and the bathroom vanity started leaking on only my third trip. I replaced them with better quality units from Home Depot.

The fueling problem and nails were as I stated brand new from the dealer.

I will tell you that the tires Grand Design had their trailer frame supplier put on the trailer are top-shelf, Cooper trailer tires. Cooper has been making tires for big trucks for decades and they have a good reputation. My tires are rated for a max cold pressure of 125 psi. I never let them get below 120 psi cold. And they hold air very well.

I hope this gives you some insight and is helpful to your efforts.

Dave

DMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2024, 11:48 AM   #3
CrazyCanuck

Thankx. Still looking for more info.
CrazyCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote