Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > 5th Wheel Forums Community Discussions > New Member Intros
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-08-2024, 10:28 AM   #1
mciezki

Intro and a question

Hello Everyone!
My name is Mike, I'm in Wisconsin and my wife and I are currently looking to buy our first 5th wheel. We had a travel trailer for several years until it was totaled in a hail storm last summer and we've been without a camper since. I'm happy to have found this forum, as we have no experience with a 5th wheel.

I'm currently looking at a used 2016 Layton Trident 359rl and am having trouble finding much information regarding that particular unit, or Layton in general. This year was manufactured by Skyline as a division of Evergreen and looks like it may be the only year of production for this model. From what I've found, not many were made. We really like the decor and floorplan layout. The build quality seems on par with most.

If anyone has direct experience with this model and / or manufacturer, I would love to hear about it. Also, if anyone can point me to more information, that would be very helpful.

Thank you!

mciezki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 01:55 PM   #2
DMW

Don't limit your search...

You didn't say how big of a 5er you're looking for. But don't rule out toy haulers. You might find the size and a floorplan that's agreeable to you, plus you have a garage for storage. I had a residential GE washing machine and gas dryer installed in my garage. I don't have the toy any longer, thanks to my spinal surgeon.

One thing that I required in the floorplan was having access to the bedroom and bath without opening any slide rooms. Or you might want access to the refrigerator without opening the slides.

My 5er has the rigid steps that fold down by MorRyde at the main entry door. After living with these steps for a couple of years, I don't like them. But that's what came on the trailer. I prefer the old style that unfold out from under the door. I have this type at the garage entry door.

Dave

DMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2024, 02:49 PM   #3
mciezki

Thanks Dave,
We did talk about the possibility of a toy hauler, but neither of us care for that type of space. I do see the flexibility, but I don't think it's for us.

So far, we're looking for a rear entertainment / rear living layout, likely with opposing slides. We don't want anything overly large as it's just the two of us now. I'm guessing something in the 30' to 35' range. It sounds trivial, but one feature we both really want are nightstands, preferably with power, on both sides of the bed. I have hearing aids that I charge nightly and it's nice to have that and my phone (for the alarm) next to the bed. MY wife is an avid reader and loves to have her Kindle and a book or two next to the bed. Other than that, I would like a decent amount of counter space as I like to cook when we camp and the food prep area is nice. We also like the free standing dinette rather than a booth style.

The Layton was just something that we found locally and really liked the layout and decor of. We're definitely open to others!
Old 07-09-2024, 06:14 AM   #4
RJShiflet

I don't know if you've seen this "spec sheet" from RVUSA or not, but it's got a lot of good info on it:

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2016-...-specs-tr27857

And here's a link to the company brochure: https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/16_Layton_TT_2.pdf
2022 Ford F250 Power Stroke
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 10:39 AM   #5
fjr vfr

You didn't say what you have for a tow vehicle? Hopefully it's a one ton truck. If you're new to 5th wheels, first rule don't trust the listed trailer dry weights and above all else don't trust anything a sales person tells you!
Never base your expectations off "dry weights" always use total gvwr weight and hitch weight will be at least 20% of that. The dry weights and hitch weights used are factory stripped trailer weight and do not represent the trailer's empty weight as it sits. They're basically lies. When possible bring the trailer to the CAT scale, $10 and get a real weight. If you can't get to a scale only use the gvwr for calculations. Completely ignore dry weight figures. I know I'll repeating, but I can't emphasize enough the dry weight lie used to sell trailers. And remember everything in your truck including you and DW count towards cargo weight, so it's not just the trailer hitch weight. Judging from the kind of trailer you're asking about a one ton truck minimum needed and better yet a dually.
Best of luck with your new adventure.
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2024, 03:10 PM   #6
mciezki

Thanks for the heads up and good advice. I have a 2016 Ford, F-350, SRW, Crew Cab, Short Box with the 6.2L Gas Engine. The listed max 5th wheel towing rating is 12,100lbs.. Yes, a dually would be better and of course, a diesel would also be a big upgrade.
We're not looking for anything huge, but definitely want enough space to be comfortable inside on those rainy days. We don't generally travel too far from home, but have towed our old travel trailer to Ohio several times, which was just over 400 miles one way. Most trips are in Wisconsin and are less than 200 miles from home.
Old 07-09-2024, 03:11 PM   #7
mciezki

Thank you for the links! I did find both of those. I was really hoping to find some real world experiences and reviews, but they seem hard to come by for this model.
Old 07-09-2024, 03:19 PM   #8
mciezki

Well, I did go look at the 2016 Layton Trident 359rl. In fact, I actually found two of them for sale locally and looked at them both. My wife and I ruled both of them out due to condition.

One has two significant cracks in the siding, along with delamination in both areas. I was also told the bedroom slide had leaked a few times, so he put a slide topper over it. To me that's like putting a tarp over a hole in your roof and calling it repaired.

The other has a branded title, which actually doesn't scare me all that much, as it was repaired and the price reflected the issue. Unfortunately, it also had delamination in the side walls in a few spots. There was evidence of two slides leaking enough to swell the wood trim significantly. This one also had a crack in the siding in the same spot as one of the cracks in the other unit. The toilet was leaking into the storage area and it just looked like it had a hard life.

I am grateful to the information I've read here, which gave me a lot of good tips of things to look at and pay attention to when evaluating a used camper. We'll keep searching. It's a bummer, because my wife and I both really liked the floorplan and decor of that particular model. I'm sure that with a little time and patience, we'll find the perfect one for us.
Old 07-16-2024, 07:39 AM   #9
Gamma

Hi Mike and welcome. We have an Alpine (keystone) and I will say it feels huge. They are widebody 100" and drop frame. 4" doesn't sound like much but it sure feels spacious. One thing I would mention is try to go newer if you can. So many convenience things (electrical, USB, etc) and better insulating materials (super quiet). And one thing is I would stay away from cable slides. Pain in the butt compared to newer technology. Hope you find what your looking for.
Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2024, 09:24 AM   #10
Libby

We just bought our first fifth wheel and had found a 2016 Outdoors RV one. We’re very pleased with the reviews and build on it. It’s taken some rough roads-unintentionally- and not one screw has come loose. They’re built I. The PNW for the terrain and weather for the PNW and western Canada.that’s what pleased us as we’re in westernCanada.
They have small 30’ well designed rigs & if you join some Outdoors (ORV) forums & scour western dealers, you may find your rig. They are a bit expensive but stand behind their product. Not that we’ve needed them, even with an 8yo rig.
Libby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2024, 05:34 AM   #11
RJShiflet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mciezki View Post
Thanks Dave,
We did talk about the possibility of a toy hauler, but neither of us care for that type of space. I do see the flexibility, but I don't think it's for us.

So far, we're looking for a rear entertainment / rear living layout, likely with opposing slides. We don't want anything overly large as it's just the two of us now. I'm guessing something in the 30' to 35' range. It sounds trivial, but one feature we both really want are nightstands, preferably with power, on both sides of the bed. I have hearing aids that I charge nightly and it's nice to have that and my phone (for the alarm) next to the bed. MY wife is an avid reader and loves to have her Kindle and a book or two next to the bed. Other than that, I would like a decent amount of counter space as I like to cook when we camp and the food prep area is nice. We also like the free standing dinette rather than a booth style.
We have a Cruiser Aire 28RD (rear dining) but it ticks most all the boxes you're looking for. It's just over 31' long, it has the nightstands where I charge my hearing aids and iPhone and my wife has her own USB plugs on her side. Ours has a queen bed though they do come with Kings as well. The only discrepancy from your "want list" is rear living, where ours has mid-living and rear kitchen/dining. It does have offsetting slideouts and a slideout in the bedroom for a wardrobe.

This is an older link (we have a 2023 and this page says it was created in 2018 ) but it'll give you a peek inside the 28RD - https://www.crossroadsrv.com/upper-n...r-aire-cr28rd/

2022 Ford F250 Power Stroke
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote