Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   5thWheelForums.com > 5th Wheel Forums Community Discussions > General Community Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-10-2024, 12:45 PM   #1
mciezki

How Old is Too Old, or Too New - Trailer Age

My wife and I are on the search for a used 5th wheel. We know the things we want and don't want in a layout, and several basic features that we would really like. I don't think any of our requirements are new innovations or technology that points us to a almost new camper; we've been looking in the 2016 to 2020 year range.

Is there a point in time or a model year range that is better or worse than others? Was there a point where, in general, where technology improved or a new feature or construction method was added? Was there a point where overall quality took a nose dive? You get the idea.

For example, I've been advised to avoid anything built during the labor and supply issues of COVID, which is why our upper limit is 2020. Any input is greatly appreciated. I'll list our thoughts on what we want below:

A rear living / rear entertainment layout with at least two seating areas, other than the dinette / table. That could be a couch and recliner(s), couch and love seat, etc...

We prefer a dining table and chairs to a booth or benches.

Opposing slides with an island, or other layout that adds counter space is a plus as I like to cook when we camp and the prep space is nice.

Nightstands with power on both sides of the bed.

Power jacks with auto leveling.

Preferably under 12,000lbs GVWR and between 30' and 35' long. I'll be towing with a 2016 Ford, F-350, SRW, Short Bed, 6.2L Gas.

Thanks!

mciezki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2024, 08:14 AM   #2
Gamma

So We have everything your looking for in our Alpine but at 37’. I think they make a smaller one maybe a 32 or 34’. The covid years are for sure a concern, ours is a covid build and while the materials are a higher quality (due to the model) the build is just average. Our last 5ver was a 2016 from a different manufacturer and the build quality was much worse. Our friends have a 2024 model from another manufacturer and he is frequently find and fixing shoddy workmanship. I snooped around deep into one of the hot “new” manufacturers. I still found things I felt could easily be improved by workmanship. I guess what i’m saying is overall they are really slapped together and some are just worse than others. I would not worry so much about covid year build if your looking at the better manufacturers. I kept the names out as to not bash any units publicly.

Gamma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2024, 07:51 PM   #3
fjr vfr

Personally would not buy brand new. Let someone else deal with the warranty down time. Also the steep off the lot depreciation.
Secondly none are perfect and will meet everything you want.
Make a list of must haves and would be like to have and compare each trailer to the list.
Next NEVER pay any attention to "dry weight" numbers! They will be way lower than your actual empty trailer weight. Same applies to pin weight. It will be about 20% of the trailers gross weight not counting the hitch.
Our trailer is 30' and 10600 gross weight. I did a couple things to increase counter space. I made a table extension leaf that easily stores when traveling and also is easy to set up. It nearly doubles our table size. I also made a leaf that has a folding leg and clips to attach it to the kitchen counter. Takes down in seconds and sets up in seconds. It greatly increases our counter space.
If you're handy you can do similar things to make a somewhat smaller trailer work like a bigger one. The advantage is easier towing, parking and access to state and federal parks that have size restrictions.
Good luck. Hope you find the right one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0415.jpg (298.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0412.jpg (263.6 KB, 0 views)
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote